Time with Boost Coaching: Approx years/months 7 months
Sporting background prior to starting:
Cycling was main pass time… with a little bit of aerobics thrown in.
More of a weekend warrior,or tho I did a 12 month stint with a cycling coach a couple of years ago and found it really improved my cycling.
I hadn't participated in triathlons since my early 20s. I never worried about specific training back then – any success I had back then was purely based on “youth” & the extra non-stop energy one had and the extra few kilos one didn't have.
I would hear about a triathlon the coming weekend and would just enter on the day.
My training consisted of spending too much time in the aerobics room and the weights room at my local gym, running and cycling because I enjoyed it.
Swimming was (still is) about survival. I never swam unless it was for the triathlon.
Initial goal/s & events when I started with Boost:
- Complete a 1/2IM
- Complete an Ironman (1-2 years)
- Complete other triathlons along the journey
Did you achieve these goals &/or what were the outcomes?
- Completed my 1st Half Ironman in December 2014.
- Tried to complete my 1st marathon in May – didn’t manage to finish it due to being horribly ill day before and day of. BUT! I will do another one!
- Participated in a number of triathlons over the summer. Managed a couple of 2nd place in age group wins and a few top 4 in age group wins.
- Participated in the King of the Bay ocean swim (3kms) – a massive achievement!
- On my way to my first IM…and thinking it wont be my last.
How did Boost Coaching help you to achieve these goals?
- Set me up with a training regime that was challenging and achievable
- Taught me how to swim – when I started I could only swim 25m
- Andrew is always positive, always encouraging, and never gives up on me.
What are your goals & events as you move forward?
- Ironman 2016 Taupo
- More Half Ironmans
- More triathlons
Three of my greatest achievements so far while working with Boost are
- Completing my first Half Ironman
- NZ Ocean Swim - King of the Bays 2.8km swim
- Entering so many triathlons, stroke & stride events, ocean swims
Other comments regarding working with Boost Coaching
I am typically a lazy person. It’s easy to sleep in, it’s easy to say “I’ll do it tomorrow”. I wouldn't have crossed the finish line of so many events this summer if it wasn't for Andrew.
Andrew has been so supportive and so encouraging. He doesn't give up.
Meeting, training and participating in events with other Boosties has been awesome. Everyone is super supportive, and always ready to share great advice from their years of experience.